With the onset of World War II, production plans for Suzuki's new vehicles were halted when the government declared civilian passenger cars a "non-essential commodity."
At the conclusion of the war, Suzuki went back to producing looms.
Loom production was given a boost when the U.S. government approved the shipping of cotton to Japan.
Suzuki's fortunes brightened as orders began to increase from domestic textile manufacturers. But the joy was short-lived as the cotton market collapsed in 1951.
Faced with this colossal challenge, Suzuki's thoughts went back to motor vehicles.
After the war, the Japanese had a great need for affordable, reliable personal transportation.
A number of firms began offering "clip-on" gas-powered engines that could be attached to the typical bicycle.
Suzuki's first two-wheel ingenuity came in the form a bicycle fitted with a motor called, the "Power Free."
Designed to be inexpensive and simple to build and maintain, the 1952 Power Free had a 36 cc, one horsepower, two-stroke engine.
The unprecedented double-sprocket gear system enabled the rider to either pedal with the engine assisting, pedal without engine assist,
or simply disconnect the pedals and run on engine power alone.
The patent office of the new democratic government granted Suzuki a financial subsidy to continue research in motorcycle engineering, and so was born Suzuki Motor Corporation.
In 1953, Suzuki scored the first of many racing victories when the tiny 60 cc "Diamond Free" won its class in the Mount Fuji Hill Climb.
By 1954, Suzuki was producing 6,000 motorcycles per month and had officially changed its name to Suzuki Motor Co.